|Who is the prophet?||Amos of Tekoa
The name means “carried by God.”
Trade: Shepherd and
Dresser of Sycamores
Time: Mid-8th Century BCE
Kings: Uzziah of Judah and Jeroboam II of Israel.
|To whom are his oracles directed?||Ruling classes in the North, including Israel
|What are some of the concerns?
|Oppression of the poor
and needy members of society
· Selling off needy people for goods
· Taking advantage of the helpless
· Men were using women immorally
· Drunk on their economic success
· The people had lost the concept of caring for one another.
· The people profaned Yahweh’s holy name (2:7)
|What are the consequences?||God would punish Israel.
|What are the remedies?||Change sinful ways to avoid destruction.